noun (plural culmina /-mɪnə/)
- 1 Ornithology The upper ridge of a bird’s bill.More example sentences
- Old World sparrows are small to medium sized, stocky birds with a short bill with a decurved culmen and short legs.
- Prey size was estimated by comparing the length of the exposed bill culmen of adults with the length of the prey.
- For both species, body size traits (in mm) included mean tarsus length, mean flattened wing chord, tail length, and culmen length (base of cere to tip of beak).
- 2 Anatomy A small region in the brain on the anterior surface of the cerebellum.More example sentences
- In the midline, above the central lobule, the culmen projects above the rest of the superior surface of the cerebellum.
mid 17th century (in the sense 'top, summit'): from Latin, contraction of columen 'top, summit'.
More definitions of culmenDefinition of culmen in:
- The US English dictionary