- 1Characterized by refined taste and manners and good education: a cultured and intelligent manMore example sentences
cultivated, intellectually/artistically aware, artistic, enlightened, civilized, educated, well educated, well read, well informed, learned, knowledgeable, discerning, discriminating, with good taste, refined, polished; sophisticated, urbane; intellectual, highbrow, scholarly, erudite• informal arty
- Refine your consciousness and build self-control through education and cultured activities.
- I sometimes feel that people want to keep the theatre as some kind of special preserve for people like them, educated, cultured people; they don't like it when a play packs out the theatre with ordinary people having a good time.
- Well, you can consider this as a sort of a rude shock or something similar intended to shake up the generally cultured and refined topics that is normally discussed in the blogging community.
- 2 Biology (Of tissue cells, bacteria, etc.) grown or propagated in an artificial medium: cultured tumour cellsMore example sentences
- The samples tested, including cultured cells, tissue homogenates, and red blood cells, were divided into two aliquots.
- The scientists also produced a continuously growing line of cultured embryonic germ cells.
- To create the custom-made ligaments, the harvested cells are cultured in vitro in a specially designed bioreactor with a collagen or other suitable biodegradable matrix.
- 3(Of a pearl) formed round a foreign body inserted into an oyster.More example sentences
- Any such attempt will have implications to the tune of thousands of dollars considering the evolving trends in the global cultured pearl industry.
- Reasons for the past decline include the effects of the pearl button industry of the late 19th and early 20th centuries and the cultured pearl industry of the past 50 years.
- Native mussel shells are used in the cultured pearl and jewelry industries.