1The aromatic seeds of a plant of the parsley family, used as a spice, especially ground and used in curry powder: add a pinch of cumin
More example sentences
- To make the curry powder, combine the ground coriander, cumin, fenugreek, pepper, ginger, paprika and turmeric and mix well.
- The salted version often contains spices such as roasted cumin seeds or black pepper.
- Stuff with couscous mixed with orange juice, paprika, cayenne, cumin, garlic, parsley, diced prunes and pinenuts.
2The small, slender plant which bears cumin seeds, occurring from the Mediterranean to central Asia.
- Cuminum cyminum, family Umbelliferae.
- Yarrow, alyssum, fennel, cumin, & coriander all attract beneficial insects as well.
- Harvest herbs grown for seeds - dill, caraway, coriander, and cumin, for example - as the fruits change color from green to brown or gray but before they scatter to the ground.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: cumin
Definition of cumin in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.