noun (plural cumulonimbi /-bʌɪ/)[mass noun] Meteorology
- Cloud forming a towering mass with a flat base at fairly low altitude and often a flat top, as in thunderstorms: the development of clouds from fair-weather cumulus to giant cumulonimbus [count noun]: those clouds that will build west of Baltimore late Sunday afternoon are cumulonimbiMore example sentences
- The rising air cools and produces towering cumulus and cumulonimbus clouds.
- The rising air is associated with a region of low air pressure, towering cumulonimbus clouds and rain.
- As air rises in a large cumulonimbus or thunderhead cloud condensation occurs and all three forms of water are present.
More definitions of cumulonimbusDefinition of cumulonimbus in:
- The US English dictionary