Definition of cunjevoi in English:
1A tall Australian plant of the arum family, with edible corms.
- Alocasia macrorrhiza, family Araceae
- When the Latins were here they named it Pyura stolonifera, but indigenous and other native-born Australians and others call it cunjevoi, or just plain cunji.
- Amazingly, a lot of fishermen don't seem to realize cunjevoi grows on estuary racks and is very easy to collect.
- It supports many plant species including the rainforest trees, ground ferns, tree ferns, zamias, cunjevois, cordylines or palm-lilies, native bananas, palms, climbing plants and epiphytes.
2An Australian sea squirt used as fishing bait.
- Pyura praeputialis, class Ascidiacea
- Bulcock Beach lifesaver Kate Stow said she suspected the creature was a cunjevoi but could not be sure, so they had to take proper precautions.
- Cranky cunjevois are just part of an incredible array of uniquely Australian marine life that might benefit from the new housing.
- It is used by fishermen as bait, and loggerhead turtles are often seen eating cunjevoi.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.