Definition of cunjevoi in English:
1A tall Australian plant of the arum family, with edible corms.
- Alocasia macrorrhiza, family Araceae
- When the Latins were here they named it Pyura stolonifera, but indigenous and other native-born Australians and others call it cunjevoi, or just plain cunji.
- Amazingly, a lot of fishermen don't seem to realize cunjevoi grows on estuary racks and is very easy to collect.
- It supports many plant species including the rainforest trees, ground ferns, tree ferns, zamias, cunjevois, cordylines or palm-lilies, native bananas, palms, climbing plants and epiphytes.
2An Australian sea squirt used as fishing bait.
- Pyura praeputialis, class Ascidiacea
- Bulcock Beach lifesaver Kate Stow said she suspected the creature was a cunjevoi but could not be sure, so they had to take proper precautions.
- Cranky cunjevois are just part of an incredible array of uniquely Australian marine life that might benefit from the new housing.
- It is used by fishermen as bait, and loggerhead turtles are often seen eating cunjevoi.