Definition of cupola in English:
1A rounded dome forming or adorning a roof or ceiling: a square tower crowned by a cupola the gilded cupola was supported by caryatids
More example sentences
- The scaffolding reaches to the top of the cupola that adorns the roof giving the builders a perch almost 100 feet up.
- The large building is built in the traditional style with barrel vaulted ceilings and cupolas.
- It has arcades all around, a pavilion at the eastern end has crenellated roof and a cupola of glass mosaic.
2A gun turret.
- Atop the all-welded turret are the commander's cupola (with single hatch cover) on the left and the loader's hatch on the right.
- Firing ports are provided for the crews' personal weapons and a machine-gun mounting is fitted on the left turret cupola with an optional machine-gun.
- As he watched, a hatch motored open on the forward gunner's cupola and a helmeted visage favored him with a toothy, wolfish grin.
3 (also cupola furnace) A cylindrical furnace for refining metals, with openings at the bottom for blowing in air and originally with a dome leading to a chimney above.
- It erected the first cupola furnace in the United States in 1835.
- And after John Wilkinson patented the small, slender, metal-clad cupola furnace in 1794, Founders gained greater control of the remelting process.
- In duplexing, the iron is melted in a cupola or electric arc furnace, and the molten metal is transferred to a coreless or channel-type induction furnace for holding and pouring.
- Example sentences
- An interesting item here was a large, framed photograph of a huge, cupolaed mansion typical of the early 70's.
- Its cupolaed pavilions and trellised balconies formed a good background for the actors.
- At the highest point in town is the cupolaed state capitol, and directly in front of the state capitol is a statue of George Washington.
Definition of cupola in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan