- A tropical Asian plant of a genus that includes turmeric, zedoary, and other species that yield spices, dyes, and medicinal products.
More example sentences
- Genus Curcuma, family Zingiberaceae
- Extracted from the roots of the curcuma longa plant, curcumin is a member of the ginger family.
- We have imported a number of varieties from Asia: alpinias, costus, curcumas and hedychiums.
- Remember that curcumas do not emerge from dormancy until June… they are not dead!
modern Latin, from Arabic kurkum 'saffron', from Sanskrit kuṅkuma (so named because the colour of the spices resembles that of saffron).
More definitions of curcumaDefinition of curcuma in:
- The US English dictionary