Definition of curd in English:
- In India, this offering traditionally contained three sweet substances: molasses, honey and sugar and three white substances: curd, butter and milk.
- Products labelled as containing lactose, cream, butter, cheese and cheese flavour, curd, milk, milk solids, milk powder and whey, as well as margarine containing milk solids, should be avoided.
- Try eating nonfat mozzarella or cottage cheese, as each curd is rich in a long-acting protein called casein, giving you a steady trickle of amino acids that lasts into the night.
late Middle English: of unknown origin.
The original English word for curds was crud, which only acquired its sense ‘filth, rubbish’ in the USA in the 1940s. The swapping round of sounds in a word is called metathesis and is particularly common with ‘r’ and a vowel ( compare bird). Since the late 16th century curdle has been used for the action of forming curds.
- Example sentences
- It presents with excessive itching, redness and a thick curdy white discharge.
- Yeast infections are accompanied by a curdy white discharge, and the area may be red and irritated.
- On examination, she had vulvar erythema and a curdy vaginal discharge.
Definition of curd in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.