Hasty and therefore not thorough or detailed: a cursory glance at the figures
More example sentences
- He gave the crowded room a quick cursory glance, and spotted the uniforms in the corner.
- A cursory glance through the annals of history will prove this beyond doubt.
- Plus, a cursory glance across the water shows that difficulties with stadiums are far from being unique to Ireland.
perfunctory, desultory, casual, superficial, token, uninterested, half-hearted, inattentive, unthinking, offhand, mechanical, automatic, routine;
hasty, quick, hurried, rapid, brief, passing, fleeting, summary, sketchy, careless, slapdash
- Example sentences
- The topics, however, being of monumental proportions, can only be cursorily sketched in less than three hundred pages.
- But really, don't waste any time on that link - just glance it over cursorily enough to glean the context in which to fully appreciate this brilliant, twinkling compilation of one-star Amazon reviews of the aforementioned best books ever.
- How is the category ‘designer’ constituted significantly by the degree to which it must ignore or only cursorily recognize these outside disciplines?
- Example sentences
- I am struck by the almost universal cursoriness of physical examinations by today's physicians.
- There is no ambivalence in his treatment of that primal emotion, but a cursoriness and uneasiness to his approach.
- The implication of leisureliness, cursoriness, or haste is therefore not a recent development, although it is usually found in less formal contexts and is less frequent in earlier use.
Early 17th century: from Latin cursorius 'of a runner', from cursor (see cursor).
Words that rhyme with cursoryanniversary, bursary, mercery, nursery
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: curs|ory
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.