Definition of custard pie in English:
1An open pie containing cold set custard.
- Whenever approaching a pumpkin pie, keep in the back of your mind that you are, in essence, making a custard pie.
- I settled into one of the leather banquettes for a leisurely tea service, including scones and a slice of custard pie served by white-jacketed waiters.
- The use of custard-filled ‘pies’ or tarts was memorably extended in the 1920s, when the throwing of custard pies into the faces of characters in silent films became a standard Hollywood procedure.
1.1A custard pie, or a flat container of foam, used for throwing in someone’s face in slapstick comedy: staff raised about £70 by putting members of the management team in the stocks and pelting them with custard pies [as modifier]: Charlie Chaplin won enormous popularity with his custard-pie comedies
More example sentences
- The film's final scene, a post-apocalyptic custard-pie battle in the presidential bunker, was deleted before it went on general release.
- Borkowski, who staged the biggest custard-pie fight ever in the Millennium Dome (3,312 pies in two minutes), has set himself a challenge on a par with making a romance about estate agents.
- I'm obliged to say that, in case the clown mobsters order a custard-pie hit.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan