1A person who has responsibility for taking care of or protecting something: the custodians of pension and insurance funds the custodian of the Great Seal in Canada is always the Secretary of State
More example sentences
- Mr Honner pointed out that farmers today have huge responsibilities as custodians of animals and the environment and as food producers.
- Physicians, health authorities and other custodians are responsible for explaining to their patients why information is being collected and how it will be used, shared and protected.
- It is for this reason that there is urgent need for authorities to do an on-the-spot check of the assets as required by law so that the rightful custodians take care of the property.
curator, keeper, conservator, guardian, overseer, superintendent;
caretaker, steward, warden, warder, attendant;
watchdog, protector, defender
1.1US A person employed to clean and maintain a building.
- He was a carpenter, millwright, agent, and building custodian.
- Cassie got her things watching the custodians clean the floor and bathrooms.
- The deal gave promotions and added seniority to 59 minorities who are employed as custodians by the city's school board.
1.2British humorous A goalkeeper or wicketkeeper.
- Bridge keeper Cyril Sharrock was by far the busier of the two custodians.
- Sohail's initial flick was blocked by onrushing GB custodian Jimi Lewis.
- Coach Kaushik was all praise for the Indian custodian Helen Mary.
- Example sentences
- Caring about each other, especially for children and those not able to protect or to provide for themselves, and caring about our country, our custodianship of the land, its waters and its future.
- Using a computer telescope, they located their star, The Green School,’ the custodianship of which was bought for the school by the British Council in Mauritius.
- This absolute right of restriction is based on a self-proclaimed custodianship of a religious or ethnic tradition, or a collective self-image, which must, apparently, be defended against the calumnies of dissenters.
Late 18th century: from custody, on the pattern of guardian.
Words that rhyme with custodianCambodian, collodion, melodeon, nickelodeon, Odeon
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.