- 1The edge of a tool’s blade: tools with cutting edges should be kept sharpMore example sentences
- Tools with cutting edges, bludgeons, crowbars, hammers, saws and drills will continue to be prohibited, along with any tool that is more than seven inches long.
- Whenever possible, hang tools with cutting edges separately to keep them from getting nicked or dulled.
- Engagement must be made with the cutting edge against the cutting edge, hand to the right or left, and fingernails down or up.
- 2 [in singular] The latest or most advanced stage in the development of something: researchers at the cutting edge of molecular biologyMore example sentences
- If funding is released, we will be at the cutting edge of primary school development and I am more than hopeful that this will happen.
- It has a huge push underway to ensure we stay at the cutting edge of developments in the biotechnology sector, regarded as the next breakthrough technology after the internet.
- Konkan Railway is grateful for this support to make India proud to be at the cutting edge of technology development in this millennium.
- 3 [in singular] A dynamic or invigorating quality: the party’s campaign began to lose its cutting edgeMore example sentences
- City of York III paid for a lack of a cutting edge when they lost 1-0 at Ramgarhia - the only goal being deflected in off a York defender.
- Cougars had lost the cutting edge which took them to seven successive victories before being halted in their tracks by Sheffield Eagles the previous week.
- At Derby, it was the lack of service, the absence of a quality final ball to give them a cutting edge which was the problem.
adjectiveBack to top
- (cutting-edge) Highly advanced; innovative or pioneering: cutting-edge technologyMore example sentences
- If you are a scientist, you may have pioneered cutting-edge technology.
- MiniDiscs are an example of the advances of cutting-edge research in physics and chemistry.
- The status has enabled the school to forge ahead with innovation and cutting-edge educational developments.
More definitions of cutting edgeDefinition of cutting edge in:
- The US English dictionary