- The flattened oval internal skeleton of the cuttlefish, which is made of white lightweight chalky material. It is used as a dietary supplement for cage birds and for making casts for precious metal items: parakeets require only a cuttlebone to hone their beaks [mass noun]: cuttlebone has long been used for casting pieces of jewelleryMore example sentences
- Almost any bird needs a cuttlebone or mineral equivalent to keep their bones healthy and beaks sharp.
- Another item that should be kept in your parakeet's cage is either a cuttlebone or a mineral block.
- Both groups had access to cuttlebone and fresh water ad libitum.
More definitions of cuttleboneDefinition of cuttlebone in:
- The US English dictionary