Definition of cyanamide in English:
noun[mass noun] Chemistry
1A weakly acidic crystalline compound made as an intermediate in the production of ammonia.
- Under this scenario, dormancy-breaking chemicals (such as hydrogen cyanamide, HC) enhance budbreak by diminishing the duration of suppression.
- It re-examined the approval to import and manufacture soluble concentrates containing hydrogen cyanamide to ensure existing controls were adequate to address potential risks.
- Enzymatic activity in extracts of a soil fungus, Myrothecium verrucaria, hydrates the nitrile group of cyanamide with formation of urea.
1.1A salt of cyanamide containing the anion CN22−, especially the calcium salt used as a fertilizer.
- The reactivity of the nitrile functional group in calcium cyanamide makes it as a chief industrial raw material.
- No information is available on the reproductive or developmental effects of calcium cyanamide in humans or animals.
Definition of cyanamide in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.