noun (plural cyathia /-ɪə/)Botany
- The characteristic inflorescence of the spurges, resembling a single flower. It consists of a cup-shaped involucre of fused bracts enclosing several greatly reduced male flowers and a single female flower.More example sentences
- All are tree Euphorbias, have minute sessile leaves and yellowish cyathia but differ in other respects.
- A commonly encountered cluster of three cyathia with a mixed sexual orientation is called a cyme.
- That means that there are plants that produce only male cyathia and others that produce only female ones.
late 19th century: modern Latin, from Greek kuathion, diminutive of kuathos 'cup'.
More definitions of cyathiumDefinition of cyathium in:
- The US English dictionary