noun[mass noun] Biochemistry
- A cyclic form of adenosine monophosphate (adenylic acid) which plays a major role in controlling many enzyme-catalysed processes in living cells.More example sentences
- Diurnal changes in the plasma levels of cortisol, epinephrine, cyclic AMP and histamine are thought to be the cause of this exacerbation.
- By inhibition of certain enzymes, it allows an increase in the concentration of the ‘second messenger’, cyclic AMP, within cells, enhancing in turn the systems which this activates.
- The exact mechanism whereby ISM increases platelet cAMP appears to be that of inhibition of cyclic AMP phosphodiesterase.
More definitions of cyclic AMPDefinition of cyclic AMP in:
- The US English dictionary