1A circular picture of a 360° scene, viewed from inside.
- An obvious refinement in the bloody 19th century was war, and the cyclorama paintings installed at the battlefields of Waterloo and Gettysburg, their foregrounds strewn with mannequins and relics, still draw the crowds today.
- We're trying to get as close as we can to creating the illusion of being in the cyclorama in 1884.
- At the beginning of 1887, Welch journeyed to Englewood, Illinois, where he and Twachtman has signed on with a group of other artists to paint a cyclorama of the Battle of Gettysburg.
1.1A cloth stretched tight in an arc around the back of a stage set, often used to depict the sky: for the setting, I thought just a bare cyclorama would be nice
More example sentences
- This impression is reinforced by the panoramic curve of the back wall, which, even though it is painted a uniform dark grey, suggests a cyclorama or stage backdrop.
- Peter designed a nearly bare setting, with a raked stage backed by a cyclorama of rigid vertical strips that could be lit in differing colors and also slid apart at various places to form openings.
- The cyclorama backdrop shifted to create a new lateral space on stage.
- Example sentences
- Another arrangement for projecting cycloramic images is by the use of some type of wide angle, anamorphic image.
- Panoramas gained much favor on the continent after the Franco-German War, when a huge cycloramic painting of the Siege of Paris was exhibited in Paris.
- In 1892, the Victorian colonial government through the Exhibition Trustees commissioned John Hennings to paint a cycloramic painting of Melbourne.
Mid 19th century: from cyclo-, on the pattern of words such as panorama.
Words that rhyme with cycloramaamah, armour (US armor), Atacama, Brahma, Bramah, charmer, dharma, diorama, disarmer, drama, embalmer, farmer, Kama, karma, lama, llama, Matsuyama, panorama, Parma, pranayama, Rama, Samar, Surinamer, Vasco da Gama, Yama, Yokohama
Definition of cyclorama in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.