- A young swan.More example sentences
- After hatching, parents led the cygnets to feeding grounds on lawns surrounding the lake or shallow water close to the shore.
- Goslings graze with their parents out of the water whereas swans teach cygnets in the water to be aquatic feeders.
- Congratulations and well done to the two English anglers who were fishing on Gills Pond recently and rescued a young cygnet that was in trouble.
late Middle English: from Anglo-Norman French cignet, diminutive of Old French cigne 'swan', based on Latin cycnus, from Greek kuknos.
More definitions of cygnetDefinition of cygnet in:
- The US English dictionary