(also mossy cyphel)
- A European mountain plant of the pink family, which forms cushion-like mounds and bears small greenish flowers.
More example sentences
- Minuartia sedoides, family Caryophyllaceae
- Arctic-alpines also dominate here, usually moss campion and alpine lady's mantle, and sometimes cyphel.
- An ascent of Tom Buidhe over Meikle Kilrannoch reveals the breathtaking flowers of alpine catchfly as well as clumps of cyphel.
- As the day was improving all the time, we carried on upwards, slowly ascending Barkeval, on whose slopes moss campion, northern rock cress, stone bramble, and mossy cyphel and starry saxifrage were found.
late Middle English (denoting the houseleek): apparently from Greek kuphella 'hollows of the ears'.