- A fish of the carp family (Cyprinidae).More example sentences
- Fish prey guilds in streams in south-central Saskatchewan, Canada, are relatively simple systems, often consisting solely of cyprinids and sticklebacks.
- In addition to the normal spectrum perceived by most vertebrates, several shallow-water species are able to see ultraviolet light; others, such as anchovies, cyprinids, salmonids and cichlids, can even detect polarized light.
- If one were to include eleotrids, as some recommend, the gobies would rival the cyprinids as the largest fish family in the world.
late 19th century: from modern Latin Cyprinidae (plural), based on Greek kuprinos 'carp'.
More definitions of cyprinidDefinition of cyprinid in:
- The US English dictionary