Definition of cyprinoid in English:
A fish of a large group which includes the carps, suckers, and loaches, and (in some classification schemes) the characins.
- Order Cypriniformes or superfamily Cyprinoidea
- Everywhere in fresh waters, except in Australia, species of little cyprinoids or characoids are the principal forage fishes on which larger predators feed.
- Other groups of fishes that are prominent in the collection include: characoids, cyprinoids, neotropical catfishes, sunfishes, gobies, blennies, serranids and flatfishes.
- The cyprinoids, which are absent from South America, dominate the freshwaters of tropical Asia and the north-temperate zone of Eurasia.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to or denoting the cyprinoids.
- Among the naturally occurring fresh water fish, cyprinoid fish are among the dominating species as they successfully breed and reproduce in natural water reservoirs, streams or rivers and are being caught daily.
- The fluke utilizes, respectively, freshwater snails and cyprinoid fish as its first and second intermediate hosts.
- Infection with these food-borne parasites is prevalent in areas where uncooked cyprinoid fish are a staple of the diet.
Definition of cyprinoid in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.