noun[mass noun] Biochemistry
A compound found in living tissue as a constituent base of DNA. It is paired with guanine in double-stranded DNA.
- A pyrimidine derivative; chemical formula: C4H5N3O
More example sentences
- The nitrogen-containing units are the bases: adenine, cytosine, guanine, and uracil.
- In DNA the bases pair to form a ladder-like structure, with adenine paired with thymine and guanine with cytosine.
- The derivatives of purine are called adenine and guanine, and the derivatives of pyrimidine are called thymine, cytosine and uracil.
Definition of cytosine in:
- The US English dictionary