- A freshwater duck which typically feeds in shallow water by dabbling and upending, such as the mallard, teal, and pintail. Compare with diving duck.
More example sentences
- Tribe Anatini, family Anatidae: genus Anas (numerous species)
- The smallest dabbling duck, the Green-winged Teal is smaller and more compact than other teals and has a round head and narrow bill.
- The migration or feeding behavior of dabbling ducks could at least partially explain the spread of the H5N1 strain of bird flu.
- American Wigeons are commonly found grazing on land, but also spend more time than other dabbling ducks in deep water.
More definitions of dabbling duckDefinition of dabbling duck in:
- The US English dictionary