- (In India or Burma (Myanmar)) a member of a band of armed robbers.More example sentences
- This valley was recently the territory of a famous dacoit, or highway robber, named Mohammad Khan.
- Since the entire Chambal area is notorious for dacoits and robbers' gangs, safety in traveling must be ensured beforehand.
- In South India, roving bands of dacoits, carrying out their traditional depredations on the weak and unprotected, had been a part of the rural landscape for centuries.
from Hindi ḍakait, from ḍakaitī 'robbery by a gang'.
More definitions of dacoitDefinition of dacoit in:
- The US English dictionary