Late 17th century: perhaps imitative of a young child's first syllables (see dad).
- Driving through jungle roads for three hours, we reached a village to find the remnants of a fire started by the dadas.
- Born in Delhi to Punjabi parents who were refugees of the partition from Lahore, he has heard stories from his dadas.
- I had a meeting with about 90 dadas to discuss the future of their youth.
From Hindi dādā.
- Collage has been used in many major art movements, for example Dada, Surrealism, and Pop art.
- Here are jumbled together manifestos from the Bauhaus, Surrealism, Dada, the Suprematists and the Futurists.
- Members were united by their interest in Marcel Duchamp, Dada and the role of chance in art.
- Example sentences
- He arrived in Berlin in 1920, where he was influenced by Dadaism, Suprematism, and particularly Constructivism.
- Dadaism, Surrealism, and Futurist performance activities seem to have shared a similar spirit of exploration, of breaking down boundaries, of looking to process instead of product.
- Abstract Expressionists also borrowed ideas from other modern art ‘isms’ such as Dadaism and Surrealism.
- Example sentences
- The use of food as an artist material, for example, dates from the beginning of the 20th century, when Dadaists, Surrealists and Futurists first began experimenting with food as a medium, be it chocolate, bread, sausage or candy.
- While living in Paris, Dali joined forces with a group of artists who called themselves the surrealists, then led by former Dadaist André Breton.
- Like the kindred Surrealists and Dadaists before him, Spoerri favored activities that enhanced the role of chance in his art works.
French, literally 'hobby horse', the title of a review published in Zurich in 1916.
Words that rhyme with Dadaradar • zamindar • Pindar
Definition of dada in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.