- A tuberous-rooted Mexican plant of the daisy family, which is cultivated for its brightly coloured single or double flowers.
More example sentences
- Genus Dahlia, family Compositae
- For late-summer color, plant begonias, dahlias, gladiolus, montbretia, and tigridia.
- Last year I underestimated the growth of my hostas and planted dahlias somewhere in their vicinity.
- Replace fading cool-season annuals with heat lovers like celosias, dahlias, marigolds, petunias, salvias, and verbenas.
modern Latin, named in honour of Andreas Dahl (1751–89), Swedish botanist.
More definitions of dahliaDefinition of dahlia in:
- The US English dictionary