noun (plural dairies)
- 1A building or room for the processing, storage, and distribution of milk and milk products.More example sentences
- Indeed, the need for cost-effective solutions and consumer-friendly features continues to impact the decisionmaking process among dairies.
- With the consolidation of dairies and building of more megaplants, the pressure is on to reduce costs.
- Currently fewer than a quarter of large hog operations and large dairies are spreading their manure on adequate crop land acreages to meet the new EPA guidelines.
- 1.1A shop where milk and milk products are sold.More example sentences
- The shop was a dairy that supplied milk to the boats in the harbour and involved long hours.
- Because so many farms have diversified in recent years there are often jobs for partners in bakeries, dairies and farm shops.
- When you support local dairies, bakeries, clothes shops, restaurants, butchers and local businesses and retailers in general, you are supporting local jobs and a vibrant local economy.
- 1.2 [mass noun] Milk and milk products collectively: I rely on soya as a substitute for dairyMore example sentences
- When over the acute stage, avoid: alcohol, red meat, tobacco, spicy, greasy and fried foods and dairy.
- In these cases Dampness-engendering foods like dairy, citrus, and perhaps wheat may need to be eliminated from the diet.
- Most importantly we'd recommend consulting a medical practitioner or dietitian before excluding any major food group like dairy from the diet.
- 2 (also corner dairy) NZ A small grocery shop.More example sentences
- The corner dairy is a delicatessen and I can buy soy-yoghurt, fresh bread and good coffee all as I walk to work.
- I have actually heard one of the co-leaders of the Greens say that we should not be allowed to drive to the corner dairy - we should be forced to walk.
- Most of this work is unproblematic - teenagers taking an after-school job in a supermarket, corner dairy, or working in a family business.
adjective[attributive] Back to top
- 1Containing or made from milk: dairy productsMore example sentences
- Eat lean meat, roast or broil foods rather than fry them and replace high-fat dairy products with skim milk and low-fat yogurt and cheeses.
- Experiment to determine your tolerance for dairy foods.
- Choose lean meats, poultry without skin, liquid plant oils instead of hydrogenated oils or butter, and skim-milk dairy foods.
- 1.1Concerned with the production of milk: a dairy farmerMore example sentences
- This genetically modified hormone was designed to increase milk production in dairy cows.
- Death is not usual but animals cease gaining weight and milk production in dairy cattle falls.
- The competition rewards the country's top dairy farmers who produce milk with the highest protein content and with a firm eye to cost efficiency.
More definitions of dairyDefinition of dairy in:
- The US English dictionary