- Dakotan noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- Indeed, writes Larner, some disaffected young Dakotans would like to ‘blow it up,’ though Larner doesn't go so far.
- These civic-minded Dakotans were members of the Ground Observer Corps, inaugurated in 1950 by the Continental Air Command.
- Even within the state, running across a fellow Dakotan is not as easy as you might think - we're the 17th largest state by land size, so there's only 10 of us for every square mile.
Words that rhyme with Dakotabloater, boater, Botha, doter, emoter, floater, gloater, iota, Kota, Minnesota, motor, promoter, quota, rota, rotor, scoter, voter
noun (plural same or Dakotas)
1A member of a North American Indian people of the northern Mississippi valley and the surrounding plains.
- Moreover, they succeeded in the case of the Nez Perces and Dakotas because tribal members took control of the missions in ways that met their cultural needs and assuaged their spiritual hunger.
- In common with other plains peoples, the Dakota were nomadic buffalo hunters, who gathered in tribes during the summer, and dispersed into family groups during the winter.
- Lame Deer, for example, made clear that adopting the role of the berdache among the Teton Dakota was not always an exercise in free choice.
2 [mass noun] The Siouan language of the Dakota, spoken by about 15,000 people. Also called Sioux.
- He encourages others to learn Native languages saying, ‘Raising a generation of fluent speakers is the start of ensuring that our people will speak Dakota in the future.’
- He also translated Pilgrim's Progress into Dakota.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Dakota or their language.
- An oblate there said I should have been called Ti-kdi-sni, which in the Dakota language means ‘Never Stays Home.’
- Pasche is from the Dakota Tipi First Nation in Manitoba.
- It spread west into Dakota territory, however, where other Sioux deplored gold seekers crossing their territory to mines in western Montana.
The name in Dakota, literally 'allies'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.