- A large long-legged gazelle with a mainly whitish coat, native to the southern and western Sahara (where it is now very rare). Also called addra gazelle.
More example sentences
- Gazella dama, family Bovidae
- Farther north in Africa, the dama gazelle of the Sahara region has suffered an 80 percent decline in the past decade because of uncontrolled hunting.
- The dama gazelle is highly drought resistant - most of its water is obtained from its plant food.
- Like most desert species, the dama gazelle is highly nomadic, ranging widely in order to obtain sufficient nutrition.
modern Latin dama 'fallow deer' (the specific epithet of its Latin name).