- Resin obtained from any of a number of tropical, chiefly Indo-Malaysian trees, used to make varnish.
More example sentences
- The resin is obtained from trees in the families Araucariaceae (genus Agathis), Dipterocarpaceae (genera Hopea, Shorea, and Vatica), and Burseraceae (genus Canarium)
- Acrylic and ketone resins are used in place of the traditional dammar, mastic, and copal resins for the manufacture of many oil painting media and picture varnishes.
- The native Dayaks use damar (resin collected from the trees) for lamp fuel.
- Using the ancient method of encaustic painting, Berger combines a rich blend of raw pigment, liquid wax and dammar crystals, which she burns on the surface.
late 17th century: from Malay damar 'resin'.
More definitions of dammarDefinition of dammar in:
- The US English dictionary