- A thing that has a restraining or subduing effect: television and booze, those twin dampeners of the revolutionary spiritMore example sentences
- Of course, none of this has put a dampener on the Championship celebrations - nothing could put a dampener on that.
- We had such a wonderful day and can no longer look back on our memories on the film, which put a bit of a dampener on things.
- She said: ‘Last year we were in the grip of the foot and mouth crisis and it really put a dampener on the celebrations.’
More definitions of dampenerDefinition of dampener in:
- The US English dictionary