1Any of ten degrees of advanced proficiency in judo or karate: he was awarded his first dan
More example sentences
- He joined the highly-touted Waseda Judo Club, advancing to the rank of fourth dan by his senior year.
- Later he was awarded his seventh dan in the organization.
- He was the founder or ‘Shihan’ and his was the responsibility to authorize his pupils' dans.
1.1A person who has achieved a dan: in five years' time they can become a black belt second dan
More example sentences
- 'Now he is a second dan and a black belt degree holder,’ said Silvi.
- Richard, a black belt second dan, took up the martial art of shotokan after being bullied in junior school, and found it boosted his confidence.
- Today, the 23-year-old second dan will be competing with the best in the world in one of the most esoteric martial arts on the planet.
1940s: from Japanese.
Words that rhyme with danAberfan, Adrianne, an, Anne, artisan, astrakhan, ban, began, Belmopan, bipartisan, bran, can, Cannes, Cézanne, Cheyenne, clan, courtesan, cran, Dayan, Diane, divan, élan, Elan, fan, flan, foreran, Fran, Friedan, Gell-Mann, gran, Han, Hunan, Ivan, Jan, Japan, Jinan, Joanne, Kazan, Klan, Kordofan, Lacan, Lausanne, Leanne, Limousin, Louvain, man, Mann, Marianne, Milan, Moran, nan, Oran, outran, outspan, Pan, panne, parmesan, partisan, pavane, pecan, Pétain, plan, Pusan, ran, rataplan, rattan, Rosanne, Sagan, Saipan, saran, scan, scran, sedan, span, spick-and-span, Spokane, Suzanne, Tainan, tan, than, tisane, trepan, van, vin, Wuhan, Xian, Yerevan, Yunnan, Zhongshan
(also dan buoy)
A small temporary marker buoy with a lightweight flagpole.
- The short first beat to a dan buoy near the Steamboat Museum gave an indication of unpredictable conditions.
- Sunday brought a strong easterly wind and a course was set in the north lake with a start near FBA south to a dan buoy near Roughholme Island.
- Four anchored dan buoys with radar transponders provided navigational control for the greater part of the survey.
Late 17th century: of unknown origin.
Definition of dan in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.