More definitions of DanDefinition of Dan in:
- The US English dictionary
- 1Any of ten degrees of advanced proficiency in judo or karate: he was awarded his first danMore example sentences
- He joined the highly-touted Waseda Judo Club, advancing to the rank of fourth dan by his senior year.
- Later he was awarded his seventh dan in the organization.
- He was the founder or ‘Shihan’ and his was the responsibility to authorize his pupils' dans.
- 1.1A person who has achieved a dan: in five years' time they can become a black belt second danMore example sentences
- 'Now he is a second dan and a black belt degree holder,’ said Silvi.
- Richard, a black belt second dan, took up the martial art of shotokan after being bullied in junior school, and found it boosted his confidence.
- Today, the 23-year-old second dan will be competing with the best in the world in one of the most esoteric martial arts on the planet.
1940s: from Japanese.
(also dan buoy)
- A small temporary marker buoy with a lightweight flagpole.More example sentences
- The short first beat to a dan buoy near the Steamboat Museum gave an indication of unpredictable conditions.
- Sunday brought a strong easterly wind and a course was set in the north lake with a start near FBA south to a dan buoy near Roughholme Island.
- Four anchored dan buoys with radar transponders provided navigational control for the greater part of the survey.
late 17th century: of unknown origin.