Definition of dance hall in English:
1A large public hall or building where people pay to enter and dance.
- The first floor of the Paramount was the lobby, kitchen and shops, the second floor was the dance hall and banquet hall and the third floor was a hotel.
- Nimbin Hall has also served the community as school, hospital, library, cinema, theatre, concert hall and dance hall.
- Fifty years ago, most British towns had their own dance hall, where couples could foxtrot, dine or watch cabaret.
2 (dancehall) [mass noun] An uptempo style of dance music derived from reggae, in which a DJ improvises lyrics over a recorded backing track or to the accompaniment of live musicians.
- Now pouring all of this emotion into a variety of styles ranging from dancehall, reggae and gospel to jazz and RnB, his debut album is all but finished.
- He presents a crucial hour of rocksteady, ska, ragga, dancehall, dub and the best reggae.
- He is also the first dancehall / reggae artist to perform during the live broadcast.
Definition of dance hall in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.