A widely distributed weed of the daisy family, with a rosette of leaves and large bright yellow flowers followed by globular heads of seeds with downy tufts.
- Genus Taraxacum, family Compositae: several species, in particular T. officinale, which has edible leaves
More example sentences
- The people in charge of arranging such operations know full well that dandelions come into flower at much the same time as our daffodils and then take over as the daffodils fade away.
- True to Chris's intentions, the two acre garden is fresh with scent and the colours of cowslips and foxgloves, daffodils and dandelions.
- Tough, old dandelions and some other weeds at times require two treatments.
late Middle English: from French dent-de-lion, translation of medieval Latin dens leonis 'lion's tooth' (because of the jagged shape of the leaves).
More definitions of dandelionDefinition of dandelion in:
- The US English dictionary