- A dwarf Eurasian elder with a strong, unpleasant smell and berries yielding a blue dye.
More example sentences
- Sambucus ebulus, family Caprifoliaceae
- The name danewort originates from a belief that it is found only on sites where battles took place between the English and the Danes, as the plant grew from the blood of Danish soldiers.
- Following their re-emergence in early spring, the mature peacock butterflies feed on flowering sallows, dandelions, wild marjoram, danewort and clover fields.
- What will remain uppermost in the mind are surely the banks of dwarf elder Sambucus ebulus, also known as danewort, with their hordes of nectaring Hairstreaks.
early 16th century: so named from the folklore that the plant sprang up where Danish blood was spilt in battle.