Definition of danger signal in English:
1A railway signal indicating that the line is not clear and instructing the driver to halt.
- Transport Secretary Stephen Byers was last night facing mounting pressure to act to stop train drivers going through danger signals amid fears that the incidents are putting passengers' lives at risk.
- Two trains collided outside Paddington station after one of them passed a partially obscured red danger signal.
- Rail safety inspectors say there are "significant weaknesses" in the way train companies deal with the problem of drivers going through danger signals.
2 (also danger sign) An indication that a bad or dangerous situation is likely to develop: a rise in tobacco use by teenagers, especially girls, is a danger signal
More example sentences
- She got the danger signal from him loud and clear - but she was still going to buy this thing, dammit.
- He walked out and started giving the danger signal (thumping his good foot loudly) and so I went to pick him up.
- Normal mice quickly learned that the sound was a danger signal, and responded by freezing.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan