noun (plural same)
- A minute semi-transparent freshwater crustacean with long antennae and a prominent single eye. Also called water flea.
More example sentences
- Genus Daphnia, order Cladocera
- In addition to fish, other aquatic creatures such as clams and daphnia are used as indicators of chemical changes.
- Fish are feeding on small light olive buzzers and daphnia.
- When they reach a length of 12 mm, chub begin to feed more on small invertebrates, particularly chironomid larvae and tiny crustaceans, such as daphnia.
modern Latin, from Greek Daphnē, from the name of the nymph Daphne.
More definitions of daphniaDefinition of daphnia in:
- The US English dictionary