noun (plural same)
A minute semi-transparent freshwater crustacean with long antennae and a prominent single eye. Also called water flea.
- Genus Daphnia, order Cladocera
More example sentences
- In addition to fish, other aquatic creatures such as clams and daphnia are used as indicators of chemical changes.
- Fish are feeding on small light olive buzzers and daphnia.
- When they reach a length of 12 mm, chub begin to feed more on small invertebrates, particularly chironomid larvae and tiny crustaceans, such as daphnia.
Definition of daphnia in:
- The US English dictionary