Definition of dark adaptation in English:
The adjustment of the eye to low light intensities, involving reflex dilation of the pupil and activation of the rod cells in preference to the cone cells.
- The study recorded oscillatory potentials in seven patients with type 2 diabetes and eight age-matched control subjects during oxygen inhalation after dark adaptation.
- This important observation suggests that rhabdomeric sGC expression is a fundamental property of locust photoreceptor cells, perhaps linked to photoreceptor dark adaptation in both kinds of eye.
- Several studies demonstrated depressed critical flicker frequencies, reduced sensitivity to light during dark adaptation, shorter visualevoked response and isolated occipital disinhibition upon eye closure.
- dark-adapted adjective
- Example sentences
- Bleaching of rhodopsin in an isolated dark-adapted frog rod photoreceptor leads to the gradual increase in fluorescence in the outer segment, similar to what has been observed in salamander rods.
- The temporal resolutions of the dark-adapted photoreceptors of several species of mesopelagic crustaceans have been described in earlier studies.
- Conformational possibilities of flexible loops in rhodopsin, a prototypical G-protein-coupled receptor, were studied by modeling both in the dark-adapted and activated (R *) states.
Definition of dark adaptation in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.