noun[mass noun] Physics
- A theoretical form of energy postulated to act in opposition to gravity and to occupy the entire universe, accounting for most of the energy in it and causing its expansion to accelerate.More example sentences
- Whatever dark energy turns out to be, we already know how to measure it and how to calculate its effects on the cosmos.
- The evidence for gravitationally repulsive dark energy is strong, but there are gaps in our knowledge.
- The energy density of dark energy, which depends on w, affects the expansion rate.
More definitions of dark energyDefinition of dark energy in:
- The US English dictionary