- An absorption line in an electromagnetic spectrum, appearing as a black line at visible wavelengths.More example sentences
- Look at the spectrum of light from a distant object and you will see characteristic bright and dark lines that appear similar to those from earthly material, except for one difference: the positions of the lines are shifted toward the red.
- These missing wavelengths are characterized by dark lines in the spectrum.
- In 1860 Bunsen and Kirchhoff observed dark lines in the spectrum of a light source passed though burning substances.
More definitions of dark lineDefinition of dark line in:
- The US English dictionary