Tourism that involves travelling to places associated with death and suffering: he’s planning a project on dark tourism, documenting the increasing popularity of morbid landmarks around the world
More example sentences
- 'Dark tourism', as it's been dubbed, is on the increase, as people around the world fight to ensure the sins of the past are not forgotten.
- We don't want to be just about 'dark tourism', we also want to show off Bethlehem's assets and its 4,000-year history.
- I am currently writing an article on 'dark tourism' and ecocide.
- More example sentences
- Most of the 'dark tourists' said that viewing the devastation had helped them understand the scale of the tragedy.
- In a paper published in the International Journal Of Heritage that year, they noted that the number of dark tourists was growing exponentially.
- Dark tourists can experience emotions that regular tourists don't feel.
Definition of dark tourism in:
- The US English dictionary