(US also durned /dəːnd/)
Definition of darned in English:
adjectiveinformal , chiefly North American
Euphemism for damned. you have to work a darned sight harder
More example sentences
- Going to Mars is too darned expensive, they say, and we should save our money.
- The thing of it is, Lance's bike is expensive, which is what makes the 2300 so darned cool.
- I missed the darned bus by seconds and so have decided to walk.
- Example sentences
- When his forces make their move they will do so knowing what they have to achieve - the goals might be limited - and they will do their darnedest to get the best result with the least effort.
- Behind me is another crouching rookie firefighter, the sculptor Kenny Hunter, doing his inexpert darnedest to ensure I don't trip over the hose.
- There is hardly an NGO in existence that has not tried its darnedest to cut the Gordian knot that binds Africa to its manifold difficulties.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan