1A long sewing needle with a large eye, used in darning.
- Pick at least a kilo, prick each berry several times with a darning needle and squash into a lidded glass jar.
- You can use the darning technique to repair small holes in socks and other clothing. With a darning needle and yarn, you'll form a network of stitches across the gap.
- One way to easily thread a darning needle with a large eye is to fold a thin, rectangular sliver of paper in half the long way, sandwich the end of the thread into it as you would a hot dog in a bun, then slide paper and thread through the eye of the needle.
2North American another term for darner.
- The ‘darning needles’ or dragonfly story is an example of Feynman's methods.
- Other common names for dragonflies include sewing needles, devil's darning needles, snake doctors, horse stingers, and mosquito hawks.
- Myths about dragonflies warned children to keep quiet or else the dragonfly's "darning needles" would sew the child's mouth shut.
Definition of darning needle in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.