1A long-necked fish-eating bird related to the cormorants, typically found in fresh water, where they frequently swim submerged to the neck. Also called anhinga, snakebird.
- Family Anhingidae and genus Anhinga: four species.
- More than 200 species of birds are also found here, including the rare Storm's stork and the oriental darter, kingfishers and raptors such as the crested serpent eagle.
- The lake itself covers over 650 hectares, more than half the total size of the national park it is located in, and is home to egrets, darters, hornbills and kites, as well as some of the most unique fishing in the world.
- The evolutionary relationships of anhingas and darters remain unclear.
2A small fast-moving North American freshwater fish.
- Genera Etheostoma and Percina, family Percidae: numerous species.
- In addition to whitefish bull trout will feed on sculpins, darters or other trout and where applicable, salmon fry.
- Snorkelers observed only one benthic fish, a darter (Ethostoma or Percina spp.), in a smallmouth bass nest in Lake Opeongo.
- Too much sedimentation can affect the habitat of darters and associated fish species by making urban streams and lakes unsuitable for feeding and reproduction.
3 (also darter dragonfly) A broad-bodied dragonfly that typically darts out from a perch to grab prey.
- Libellulidae and related families: several genera.
- The bird survey counted wood lark, nightjar, cross bill and long-eared owl, while the dragonfly study spotted the previously unrecorded black darter, hairy dragonfly and the emperor dragonfly.
Words that rhyme with darterbarter, Bata, cantata, carter, cassata, charter, chipolata, ciabatta, desiderata, errata, garter, imprimatur, Inkatha, Jakarta, Magna Carta, Maratha, martyr, Odonata, passata, persona non grata, rata, Renata, Río de la Plata, serenata, sonata, Sparta, starter, strata, taramasalata, tartar, Tatar, Zapata
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: dart¦er
Definition of darter in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.