noun (plural dassies)
- Family Procaviidae, in particular Procavia capensis
- Some of these dassies, these hyraxes, went into the rocks, but this one actually climbs into the treetops.
- Back at the campsite, spotted hyenas and dassies can be seen at dusk and into the night.
- Mountain rhebuck, duiker, jackal, mongoose, porcupine and dassie now live in the Reserve.
late 18th century: from Afrikaans, from South African Dutch dasje, diminutive of Dutch das 'badger'; the fish is said to have been named because of a perceived resemblance (in its habit of frequenting rocks, or from its shy nature) to the rock hyrax.
Definition of dassie in:
- The US English dictionary