- Police time will then be spent collecting together the data and providing statistics that indicate the ethnicity of those stopped.
- These programs are used to edit and prepare the collected data for analysis.
- Web surveys have reduced the cost of data collection and made data analysis more efficient.
- Argote gives the example of old recordings of film or data stored on magnetic tape.
- The transmitting modem translates digital computer data into analog signals that can be carried over a phone line.
- The coherent light beams could lead to ultrafast computer circuitry that transmits data optically.
- The roots of relativism lie not in empirical data but in certain epistemological and metaphysical preconceptions.
- The other is that he had come to make a virtue of the fact that the basic data of knowledge are never certain, but at best merely credible to some degree.
- How do sense-data differ from other data, e.g. from those of memory or introspection?
mid 17th century (as a term in philosophy): from Latin, plural of datum.
In Latin, data is the plural of datum and, historically and in specialized scientific fields, it is also treated as a plural in English, taking a plural verb, as in the data were collected and classified. In modern non-scientific use, however, it is generally not treated as a plural. Instead, it is treated as a mass noun, similar to a word like information, which takes a singular verb. Sentences such as data was collected over a number of years are now widely accepted in standard English.