A shrubby annual plant with large, erect, trumpet-shaped flowers, native to southern North America. They contain toxic or narcotic alkaloids and are used as hallucinogens by some American Indian peoples.
- Genus Datura, family Solanaceae: several species, including the thorn apple or jimson weed
More example sentences
- Despite its name, Eryngium Blue from DT Brown is not a sea holly but a bright-blue datura or jimson weed.
- At the end, the Indian heroine commits suicide by biting a poisonous datura flower because her British lover is deserting her.
- You also might consider a gardenia, white-flowering duranta, white datura (can trigger allergy) and ‘Ducher,’ an antique white rose, for sun.
modern Latin, from Hindi dhatūrā, from Sanskrit dhustur.
More definitions of daturaDefinition of datura in:
- The US English dictionary