Seeming difficult to deal with in prospect; intimidating: a daunting task
More example sentences
- The sight of the massive queue must have been daunting, but you dealt with the situation magnificently.
- Don't let yourself be put off, however, by the daunting prospect of a 79-mile walk.
- Stepping on court against a four-year-old shouldn't be a daunting prospect.
intimidating, formidable, disconcerting, unnerving, unsettling, dismaying;
discouraging, disheartening, dispiriting, demoralizing;
forbidding, ominous, awesome, frightening, fearsome, mean-looking;
challenging, taxing, exacting
- Example sentences
- Cut off from the world and supported by a private income, he composed dauntingly huge pieces which were regarded as all but unplayable.
- Despite her shorts and tee shirt she seemed dauntingly Edwardian and thick-skirtish.
- It's got one of the most dauntingly bleak and unhappy endings imaginable.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: daunt|ing
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.