A coniferous tree with deciduous needles, known only as a fossil until it was found growing in SW China in 1941.
- Metasequoia glyptostroboides, family Taxodiaceae
More example sentences
- The famous giant redwood is a large evergreen conifer, whereas, in contrast, the dawn redwood is a deciduous conifer.
- Now native only to China, the dawn redwood was the most common sequoia in North America during prehistoric times.
- The two extinct species of Metasequoia were adapted to distinctly different swamp habitats, as are living dawn redwood compared with swamp cypress.
Definition of dawn redwood in:
- The US English dictionary