A person’s regular job and main source of income, typically as contrasted with a more enjoyable occupation or hobby: he funds his films with money earned from his day job as a manager
More example sentences
- Things have moved on rapidly since she gave up her day job as a teacher to pursue the business.
- All very well, but I'd rather save the excitement and effort for the day job.
- All this cartooning would really be a lot easier to do if I didn't have this crazy day job.
don't give up the (or your) day job
- informal Used as a humorous way of recommending someone not to pursue something at which they are unlikely to be successful.Example sentences
- Here's a tip to the doorman: don't give up the day job!
- This singer should heed the old maxim and not quit her day job.
- The supermodel-turned-actress is adequate as eye candy but shouldn't give up the day job just yet.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: day job
Definition of day job in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.