Definition of day job in English:
A person’s regular job and main source of income, typically as contrasted with a more enjoyable occupation or hobby: he funds his films with money earned from his day job as a manager
More example sentences
- Things have moved on rapidly since she gave up her day job as a teacher to pursue the business.
- All very well, but I'd rather save the excitement and effort for the day job.
- All this cartooning would really be a lot easier to do if I didn't have this crazy day job.
don't give up the (or your) day job
- informal Used as a humorous way of recommending someone not to pursue something at which they are unlikely to be successful.Example sentences
- When they tell you not to give up the day job, it's time to get worried.
- I said it was the first time I'd been a hairdresser and he joked, 'Don't give up the day job.'
- Memo to would-be Erin Brockoviches: Don't give up your day job.
Definition of day job in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.